Brief Church History:
The first services in North Goulburn occurred from around 1858. In 1864 North Goulburn became a parish. The first church was in Union Street. The Foundation Stone for St. Nicholas Church in Kinghorne Street was laid in 1879. The new church was dedicated on the 11th February 1881. In 2014 the church will celebrate 150 years of becoming a parish. The Church building itself was designed by the renowned Colonial Architect Edmund Blacket. Among his best known designs are the University of Sydney, St Andrew’s Cathedral Sydney, St Saviour's Cathedral Goulburn and St. Georges’ Cathedral, Perth. From 1864 to the present day, St. Nicholas church built and assumed pastoral care for seven small satellite churches. With modern transportation and the national decline in church going this has shrunk to two: St John’s Towrang and Christ Church Bungonia.
St Nicholas has held an important part in the life of Goulburn and district in Christian Gospel Proclamation, as a social hub and a haven for those who are bowed down by life's difficulties. St Nicholas has been and is still a lively fellowship with an evangelical flavour. Our desire is to continue its rich tradition of Christian love and kindness for young and old alike whatever their circumstances.
The mission of St Nicholas' is to Know Christ and to make Him known. As we head into the 21st century and change is everywhere around us one thing stays the same: "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday today and forever" (Hebrews 13:8).
The vision of St Nicholas' is to:
Celebrate the love of God
Care for each other
Cultivate spiritual growth
Communicate the Gospel in words and actions to others